
I'm taking an online class with Jenni Bowlin at Big Picture Scrapbooking called "Re-purpose, Re-invent, Re-think." This week's assignment was to visit a flea market to discover the objects that inspire us creatively. Jenni says that because our "Creative DNA" makes us all receive inspiration in different ways it's important for us to identify the triggers so that we can begin to surround ourselves with those things. She had us compile a list of the top ten things that we are most drawn to and then sent us off to the flea market with our list as a guide.
Here is my list:
- Old postcards -- especially greeting cards
- Old photos -- portraits
- Old letters and ledgers -- almost anything with handwriting
- Quotations
- Birds/owls
- Halloween -- black cats/witches/crows
- Old Christmas ornaments
- Buttons/sewing notions
- Brown & white china
- Skeleton keys
The photo at the top is my flea market haul from yesterday. My favorite is the small notebook with mostly empty pages. I'll probably tear them out to use on cards or layouts. I also love the portraits of the girls wearing glasses! Richard said the one with the round glasses looks like me!
I had never paid any attention the elaborate designs on the back of portraits before. It's one of the things that Jenni Bowlin loves and it did influence which photos I chose out of the hundreds that were there. After about two hours, I was on sensory overload and went home. I'm still thinking about two things I didn't buy -- a big, old ledger and a circular metal plate with numbers on it that I think was part of an old gas pump. Next time!



How I would have loved to have gone to the flea market with you! Years ago, this was my passion.
ReplyDeleteI have some exquisite postcards that have been in the family for many, many years.
Looks like you had fun!
Lu
Lu--wouldn't that be fun!
ReplyDelete