Thursday, December 30, 2010

One little word: a look ahead to 2011

I've never really liked New Year's resolutions. But Ali Edwards' one little word concept appeals to me. Choose one word to invite into your life and see where it leads you.

Choosing my word this year hasn't been easy. There are two that jumped to the forefront and they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Discipline.
Spontaneity.

To choose the first and live with it successfully for a year might lead to feeling satisfied and accomplished.
For years I've thought I lacked discipline. I start all kinds of things that never get finished. I sign up for online classes with a burst of enthusiasm which dwindles as the days pass. I start tracking my Weight Watchers points on Monday and let it slide by week's end. I know I need to add a couple of days of cardio to my exercise regime but it never happens. I haven't been able to sustain a daily spiritual practice. I can't even take my vitamins every morning for longer than a week or two!

To choose the second would probably be more fun! How many times have I said or thought, "Let's.........." or "Why don't I........." only to talk myself out of it? Why not just let go and be joyful and childlike?

I can't decide. I've got about 24 hours to make up my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment